Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving

So my first Thanksgiving actually hosting was...horrible and wonderful. I baked and cooked up a storm. On the menu (all homemade):

Appitizers:
-Cheese roll

Main:
-Turkey

Sides:
-Green bean cassalore
-Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
-Cornbread Stuffing
-Candied Sweet Potatoes
-Rolls
-Ambrosa Salad
-Creamed Corn
-Carrots and Onions

Dessert:
-Apple Pie with a strussel topping
-Pumpkin Pie
-Pumpkin Cheesecake with a ginger snap crust
-Fudge
-Pecan Pie

Here are some of the pictures. Honestly, it was way to hectic to get all the pictures I wanted. By the time I grabbed my camera again, the dinner was over and the food was gone.


So to start off, I made all the desserts the night before and I started the roll dough then to to let it rise. The next day I put in the turkey at 11:00 planning to have it done at four. This huge 27 lb turkey ended up being perfectly cooked with in 3 hours. So to keep it warm until the dinner at 5:30 we cut it apart and put it in the crockpot with the jucies and let it simmer...it turned out pretty good.

Brett had to leave to a quick watch on the base at 3:30 so I was on my own to cook all the sides. He was going to pick up 3 of the guys from his class to come over cause they couldnt go home for the holiday. So, I start cooking and my kitchen is small. I have two feet of workable counter space. So I get going and knock a few dishes out but when I go to put the pot of water on for the potatoes, after five minutes I notice a little flame is starting to burn (and my stove is unfortantly electric) so there should be no flame. Something fell down on the burned and was starting to smoke. I run over, take the pot off and put out the fire.

Well once everyone got here, 9 people in all, we start getting ready to eat. We put out the silverware and take out the plates and bring out the drinks. Problem, problem, problem. We are missing 2 forks so me and Brett get to eat our thanksgiving dinner with spoons. We dont have all the plates we thought and we forgot to get ice for the drinks...

Other than those problems, dinner with the people that came over was really fun. It was nice to have company on a holiday. So happy thanksgiving to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment